Steps to Take After a Car Accident
Posted in Firm News on December 30, 2016
Car accidents happen every day in the U.S. Everyone knows Torrance car accidents can be a bit overwhelming. But if you know what to do right after a crash, it becomes a little bit less stressful. It’s important to be aware of the steps you should take if you’re ever in a car accident. Following these 10 steps will ensure you have done everything you need to if you have to make a claim with your insurance.
Ten Steps to Take After an Auto Accident
- Stop your car and stay at the scene of the accident.
- Protect the scene and prevent any more accidents from happening. Set up flairs and keep your flashers on. But leave the vehicles where they are unless they are interfering with traffic.
- Call the police, even if it’s not a serious accident. You might need a police report to file a claim with your insurance company. They will also be able to make record of everything that happened.
- Keep an accurate record. Tell the police officer exactly what happened when they arrive. If you’re not sure if you’re injured, tell them that. Don’t automatically say you aren’t injured because if you later find out that you are it might look like you’re lying.
- Take pictures are proof of what happened, where it happened and of any damage that was done to your vehicle.
- Exchange information with the other people involved. This includes insurance policy information. If there were witnesses, you should also get their information. This will help in your insurance claim, especially if the accident wasn’t your fault.
- Notify your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Seek medical attention if you’ve been injured. Your health is top priority. Medical record will also be helpful in your claim.
- Keep all of your accident and insurance information together in a file so it’s easy to find when you’re asked about it.
- Speak to a Torrance car accident attorney to make sure you are protecting your rights and getting treated fairly.