Torrance Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents are usually not accidents. This label implies that the car wreck was inevitable, unavoidable, and no one’s fault. Normally, none of these things are true. Driver error causes over 90% of car crashes in Torrance, and all over Los Angeles County, CA.
Our experienced Torrance car accident lawyer at Soofer Law Group law office uses proven methods to hold the negligent driver legally responsible for damages. A negligence claim is not about blaming someone for the accident. Rather, your claim gives you the compensation you deserve and need to move on with life. That’s why we never stop working for you.
If you were hurt in a collision, connect with us immediately, and we will get to work for you. We offer free consultations!
Why Choose a Torrance Car Accident Lawyer?
- Our firm always provides the most aggressive and compassionate legal representation for all clients.
- Our injury attorney will fight to protect your best interests, financial well-being, and legal rights.
- Ramin Soofer, the founding personal injury attorney in Torrance, has been practicing personal injury law since 1993. Devoting his entire career to helping clients, he has a proven record of achieving a favorable financial income for clients.
How Can Our Car Crash Attorneys in Torrance CA Help?
Prompt medical attention and immediate vehicle replacement are usually the two most pressing issues in the immediate wake of a Torrance accident. Our auto accident attorneys provide essential aid in both areas.
- Soofer Law Group has professional partnerships with vehicle collision physicians. So, they are in a unique position to connect victims with the medical assistance they need.
- We have these same partnerships with vehicle repair and replacement professionals. We quickly arrange for alternative transportation while your car is being repaired or while you look for a permanent replacement. Moreover, our auto accident attorneys make sure that families get the interim vehicles they need, and not just the ones the insurance company will pay for.
- Most importantly, our Torrance vehicle collision attorneys help you obtain the compensation and justice you deserve. As outlined below, we use proven methods to obtain maximum financial compensation in even the most complex car wreck claim.
What Are Some Common Car Accident Injuries?
A car crash can cause unexpected body injuries, leaving you suffering and in pain. The most common car accident injuries are:
- Whiplash. During a crash, the victim’s head usually snaps forward and backward in a violent, whip-like motion. Whiplash affects the nerves in the neck and spine. Since it is a soft tissue injury, it normally does not show up on MRIs and other diagnostic tests.
- Scrapes and cuts
- Head injury
- Brain injury
- Internal bleeding
- Broken bones
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Victims need to see doctors who focus on vehicle collision injuries. These professionals know how to spot subtle yet serious injuries. Many car wreck accidents are degenerative. The damage is usually not very serious at first. But very soon, if it is not properly treated, whiplash may cause major problems, perhaps even loss of motion in the neck, arms, and hands.
What To Do After a Car Accident
Car accidents are unexpected events, often leaving victims involved feeling scared and clueless about what to do in the situation. Accidents are big events, often taking a toll financially, physically, and emotionally. It’s important to be prepared in case you find yourself in an unfortunate event of being in a vehicle accident.
Here are the steps to take after an accident:
- Make sure all parties involved are okay. Check for injuries. If anyone needs medical attention, contact emergency services immediately.
- Contact the police. Whether anyone sustained injuries or not, if there was a lot of damage to personal or public property, they’ll want to be notified.
- File a police report. This report is extremely valuable in determining liability for a personal injury claim.
- Document the scene. Take pictures and videos of the accident. Get all the contact information from every party involved. The more evidence the better.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the accident. Even a simple, “I didn’t see you” statement can be taken as admitting fault.
- Contact a Torrance car accident attorney as soon as possible.
What Damages Are There in a Car Accident Claim?
Since serious car crashes cause both economic and noneconomic damages, you are entitled to compensation for both of these losses. Medical bills are usually the largest component of economic damages. For a serious injury, such as a spinal injury, the medical bills could be more than $1 million in the first year alone. These injuries also mean substantial lost work as well as massive property damage.
The bottom line is that car wreck victims need money to put their lives back together, and this money should not come from their own pockets. That’s the principle behind noneconomic damages in a Torrance car wreck case. Physical injuries, and the overall negative experience of a car crash, often cause things like:
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment in life
- Loss of consortium (companionship and contribution to household affairs)
To determine noneconomic damages, our Torrance accident attorneys typically use a formula based on several different factors.
California Car Accident Laws
As mentioned, driver error causes most of Los Angeles County car accidents. Under California law, these errors usually constitute:
- Ordinary negligence: this is basically a violation of a legal duty. In California, most non-commercial drivers have a duty of reasonable care. They must drive defensively and obey the rules of the road. If they fail to do so, and if that failure substantially causes injury, the tortfeasor (negligent driver) may be liable for the aforementioned damages.
- Negligence per se.: this is the violation of safety law. If the law establishes the standard of care, tortfeasors who violate that law may be liable for damages.
Negligence laws are quite complex, especially in California. Device distraction, which is a major problem across the country, is a good illustration of the difference between ordinary negligence and negligence per se. In general, it is illegal for Californians to use hand-held cell phones while driving. The negligence per se shortcut usually applies in these situations.
California’s Vehicle Insurance Laws
Thankfully, California’s vehicle insurance laws are not quite as complex. California is a tort state. So, all car crash victims can obtain the compensation they deserve. The Golden State does have a high number of uninsured and underinsured motorists. Some victims think that if the negligent driver had little or no insurance, they cannot obtain the compensation outlined above.
But that’s not necessarily the case, California has very broad vicarious liability laws. For example, if a taxi driver or other commercial operator causes a crash, the tortfeasor’s employer may be responsible for damages. In other cases, owner liability may apply.
Gathering Evidence in a Car Accident
The proper legal theory is important because it provides direction for an accident lawyer. But the right legal theory is not enough. Attorneys and investigators must also work hard to collect evidence in your case.
A vehicle’s Event Data Recorder illustrates all the issues involved in this part of the process. Much like commercial jet black box flight recorders, vehicle EDRs collect information like:
- Vehicle speed
- Steering angle
- Brake application
- Engine RPM
Any of these numbers could be extremely crucial in a vehicle collision case, especially since the victim/plaintiff has the burden of proof. EDRs are sophisticated devices. An attorney must have the proper resources to access and download the information it contains. So, the attorneys at the Soofer Law Group often partner with professionals like accident reconstructionists and private investigators. Furthermore, California has very strict vehicle information privacy laws. Auto collision lawyers usually need court orders before they can tap into EDR data. Our car accident attorney has the legal knowledge necessary for this technical part of the job.
Dealing with an Insurance Company After a Car Accident
While all these things are going on and the victim tries to recover physically and emotionally, the insurance company typically calls constantly with settlement offers. It is very tempting to take the money offered and move on with life. But victims have no way of knowing whether or not the offer is fair. At Soofer Law Group, we thoroughly evaluate your case and set a settlement value. Then, we negotiate with the insurance company to settle your claim.
How Much Can I Settle for With an Accident Claim?
The settlement value typically depends on the facts of the case and the applicable law. Other factors include any legal defenses the insurance company has. To ascertain noneconomic damages, such as pain and suffering, our lawyers generally multiply the economic damages by two, three, or four, depending on the circumstances.
Over 90 percent of all Los Angeles County vehicle collision claims settle out of court. Serious talks usually begin once medical treatment is at least substantially complete.If initial discussions fail, many Los Angeles County judges refer matters to mediation. During mediation, a neutral third party, who is usually an unaffiliated Torrance car crash lawyer, works to facilitate a settlement between the victim and the insurance company. If both parties negotiate in good faith, mediation is usually successful.
How Much Does a Car Accident Attorney Charge?
At the Soofer Law Group, we charge no upfront legal fees in car wreck cases. We also do not require clients to front expenses, such as court costs and expert witness fees. Our “no fee unless you win” approach accomplishes several objectives.
Call Us For a Free Consultation With Our Torrance Car Accident Lawyer
Car crash victims usually receive substantial financial compensation, if their Torrance car accident lawyer plans their work, work their plans, and provide the clients with their legal options. Request a free consultation, contact the Soofer Law Group. Our professional team has won over $50 million for our injured victims. Call today at (310) 478-5090!
Our offices reside in Torrance and Los Angeles, but we proudly serve clients from all over Southern California.